Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I LOVED Mr. Roger's neighborhood when I was a kid...and...well....I'm still really fond of it today. Caleb went through a short phase of wanting to watch it, too, which I thought was wonderful considering that the program was recorded years ago and has stood the test of time as far as a child's desire to enjoy it. Why? Because being kind to your neighbor (or to those you encounter along your life's journey) just doesn't go out of style. Mr. Rogers was all about building up the self-esteem of children and teaching them about the world that they live in, including caring for and being kind to those who are placed in our lives.

The Good Samaritan risks so much to care for someone in need...to be kind. I realize that it isn't always easy, or popular, or even safe, to be kind. But I know that it's good and right. Even in our anger and expression of pain, we can be kind. We can choose the words we use more carefully or even choose to not speak at all, which might be the kindest act of all in some circumstances. The point is we should make an effort to be a good neighbor. Isn't it interesting that it comes back to something that we learned as children? Hmmm....

As a special treat I found a wonderful little YouTube video tribute for Fred Rogers, who passed away in 2003. Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment