Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sight

We saw the movie "Shutter Island" last night. Yikes! It was so intense...and in some parts so very, very sad. It was interesting...when we came out of the theater I felt sort of dizzy, my perception was off just a bit. Because the main character in the movie has such a shift, or at least a perceived shift, in how he sees his reality, I was really shaken by that and felt kind of...well...creepy. (That's my technical/ professional, diagnosis!)


Jesus says to the Pharisees “I came into this world for judgment so that those who do not see may see, and those who do see may become blind.” 40Some of the Pharisees near him he
ard this and said to him, “Surely we are not blind, are we?” 41Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would not have sin. But now that you say, ‘We see,’ your sin remains.”

It reminds me of a riddle, but more likely is reminiscent of the teachings of great philosophers, a turn of phrase and thought meant to make the listener pause and reflect, agree or disagree, and then mount a rebuttable or counter-argument. The section that grabs my attention is that Jesus came into this world so that those who do not see may see.

In a way I have felt that my whole life’s journey, especially my faith journey, has been a series of “waking up” moments thus far. As I continue to study scripture, to encounter God’s children, to experience nature, to feel loved and to love my family and friends…I wake up, over and over…or my blind eyes are given sight. It is my prayer that I continue this process; that I journey on in this life as a traveler waiting for the next encounter that will help me to see, as opposed to one who is just absolutely sure that my eyes have been opened completely and now you need to do it my way…end of story. Lord help us.

*What has been your most recent “eye-opening” experience?

*Are there people in your life who have been essential in your eyes being opened?

No comments:

Post a Comment