Monday, March 15, 2010

To Live

I was in college when I learned the word "vivir". It's the Spanish word that means "to live". I remember after learning it in Spanish class that I kept using it in sentences...of course mixing Spanish and English because I am certainly not bilingual! Now, some 20 plus years later, I still love that word!!! It is so filled with energy, I'm not sure if it's the v sounds mixed w/ the trill of the r....but it makes me smile and want to move around..to get excited even.

Can you imagine what the women at the well must have experienced when she encountered Jesus? She is doing what she needs to do to exist...get water. She goes in mid-day, perhaps to avoid others so she doesn't face their judgments of her and her multiple husbands, and now the man that she is with but not married to. She is expecting her social status as a women, her past, her present, even the town and culture that she comes from to be a repellent for Jesus. However, he flips all of that around...and offers to her LIVING water. She encounters Jesus and he offers her a chance to move from merely surviving/existing to being ALIVE. He offers her a chance VIVIR (to live!).

*Have you experienced being alive in Christ "vivir"?
*Is there anyone in your life today who needs to hear the good news of Christ, that we can move from merely existing to being fully alive?

I hope your day today is filled with the sense of "vivir"!

No comments:

Post a Comment