Friday, March 5, 2010

Seeker

Seeker. The term has been used so much in "churchy" circles...we have attempted to make our churches seeker-sensitive, paying attention to those who are not familiar with our customs/traditions and being thoughtful of their experience and entry into our worship times and gatherings. I'm certainly all for that...I get irritated when we use christian-ese... sometimes I think we should include a glossary of terms tucked inside our bulletins!

However, I also feel like we separate ourselves from folks when we place a label on them...we name visitors or those who aren't regular attenders in any congreagation "unchurched" or "seekers"...and I have also heard the term "pre-christian". I understand the need to classify so we can understand and reach out...I get it...I just really, really don't like labeling folks. Somehow it seems to place us in a superior role. And if I really get at that frustration I will admit that I don't like being labeled. Bishop Rueben Job in his book Three Simple Rules speaks of this and how painful it is for us and for the church. (This is a very small, but very amazing book by the way. I am including a link for the book right here .)

Nicodemus comes to Jesus as a "seeker" (oh...there's that word again!), or one who is open to seeing truth from a different angle than what he is used to. He is a leader of the Pharisees...and yet....he greets Jesus with "Rabbi" and seeks to understand the wisdom that he can share. Okay...so I'll admit it...if you HAVE to give me a label I think seeker would be all right. I WANT to be considered a seeker...to always want to expand my knowledge of Christ and faith....to learn from those that God places in my path on a daily basis. I want to see faith with brand new eyes. I'm so thankful for what I've learned, but there is so much more to experience! Thanks be to God for Nicodemus, the seeker.

Only one question today.....

*Are you a seeker?

No comments:

Post a Comment